DAC Grissom Feeder Pattern Meeting
You're Invited! Join us in the Grissom High School Cafeteria!
This meeting is designed to keep the community informed about the Desegregation Advisory Committee (DAC) and the implementation of the Consent Order, as well as provide an open forum for the community members to ask questions and provide feedback regarding their experiences with the implementation of the Consent Order to the DAC members. (per section 9 pgs. 83-85 of the Consent Order)
What is the DAC?
The DAC is a group of volunteer parents of HCS students appointed by the Court. We are charged with gathering parent feedback and reviewing HCS data and making recommendations to HCS. We submit an annual report to the Superintendent and the Court with our findings and parent feedback we have gathered.
What is the Consent Order?
The lawsuit that began the desegregation of Huntsville City Schools back in 1963 still governs desegregation today. Many of the requirements were not met and the case was dormant for about 20 years. In 2014, when HCS moved to re-zone the school system, the United States objected. The Court ordered HCS and the U.S. to come to an agreement which would end judicial supervision. This is called unitary status. The agreement reached between HCS and the U.S. is called the consent order.
The Consent Order addresses 6 Key Areas in Education:
- Student Assignment
- Equitable Access to Course Offerings & Programs
- Student Discipline
Have questions or concerns? Join us at the meeting!
How to Reach the DAC
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use one of the DAC drop boxes located at every school
- Write us at P.O. Box 2871, Huntsville, AL, 35804
- Attend meetings: we have two district-wide meetings (Spring and Fall), and one meeting for each feeder pattern
- Go to the Huntsville DAC website and click on Contact, then Feedback/Comment Form.
Your feedback is valuable and confidential!