Current COVID Mitigation Procedures
Positive Covid-19 Case:
- The positive individual will stay home and be excluded from school and school activities for a minimum of 5 days from the start of symptoms or from the date of positive test if asymptomatic (day zero is the day symptoms began or the individual was tested if asymptomatic)
- The positive individual may return on day 6 if they have been free of fever, vomiting, diarrhea for a full 24 hrs without medication and other symptoms have improved
- Please contact your school nurse to report a positive Covid-19 test
Exposure to Covid-19 Case:
- Huntsville City Schools will not require quarantine/exclusion following an exposure to a positive case of Covid-19. However, you may receive a call from the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)
- Exposure letters will only be sent to entire classes, buses, or extracurricular activities when a potential outbreak as defined by ADPH of Covid-19 has been identified in a cohort (3 or more positive cases in the last 10 days)
- Disinfecting across all affected areas using the Victory Sprayer will continue to occur when a positive case of Covid-19 has been identified
- A parent or guardian may still elect to keep their child home as a result of an exposure. A parent note will need to be written to cover these absences
- Staff or students reporting to the school nurse with symptoms of fever 100° or greater, vomiting, or diarrhea or other symptom that meets the HCS illness exclusion will be excluded from school and school activities until 24 hrs symptom-free without medication to reduce symptoms
- The school nurse may send home a symptomatic individual requiring clearance from a health care provider to return to work or school if Covid-19 is suspected (Policy 6.26)
- If new loss of taste or smell is reported that individual will require either evaluation from their health care provider or remain home for a minimum of 5 days
- The superintendent may amend these procedures as necessary per Policy 4.18 (See Below)
Masks Optional. Masks are optional for students, staff members, and individuals on HCS campuses and on buses.
On July 26th, 2021, the Superintendent announced to the community that Huntsville City Schools (“HCS”) would be implementing procedures to address the spread of COVID-19. The Superintendent is authorized to create these procedures under HCS Policy 4.18 regarding Public Health Precautions and Infectious Disease Mitigation which states that: The Superintendent is authorized to develop public health precautions and infectious disease mitigation procedures for all schools and other Board properties and all school sponsored activities. See Policy 4.18.1.