Become a Substitute Teacher
How to Become a Substitute with the Huntsville City Schools
*For information about substitute pay, please see the compensation plan section below.
Instructions for Applying to be a Substitute Teacher for Huntsville City Schools (HCS):
Before applying, you should gather the following information/documents:
- High school/college transcripts (as applicable)
- Teaching certificate (if available)
- References will be requested as part of the application process
- Optional: Resume
Note: You do NOT need to obtain your Alabama Substitute License or background check before applying. If selected to substitute at Huntsville City Schools, you will be required to obtain these prior to beginning substitute teaching.
You may begin the application process by following the steps below:
- Visit the ALSDE Job Board to view a listing of the current openings for Huntsville City Schools.
- Select the header “Job Title” to sort the listings alphabetically.
- To the right of the Substitute Teacher listing, select “View”. This will take you to the listing for that particular position.
- At the bottom of the page, select “Login and Apply”.
- If you do not have an account, please select “Create Account”.
- If you have an account, please enter your User Name and Password and select “Login”.
- Please read the Disclaimer and make your selection at the bottom of the page.
- You will be redirected to the View Jobs Form for the Substitute Teacher position. To apply, please select “Apply for this job” in the top right corner of the page.
- You will see the following message in red in the top right corner, “ You have successfully applied for this job”.
- The application process is complete.
- If you are applying to a substitute teaching position, please select “Classified” as your applicant type. DO NOT SELECT CERTIFIED SUBSTITUTE.
- Please make sure you POST your application when completed. If you keep your application PRIVATE, you will not appear as an applicant.
A principal may block a substitute from his/her school. If a substitute receives TWO requests from principals, directors of instruction, or the Superintendent or Deputy Superintendent to be removed from schools, a letter will be sent from the Human Resources Department to notify the substitute they have been removed. Human Resources will remove the substitute from RoleCall and principals will be notified the individual is ineligible to serve as a substitute for Huntsville City Schools.