Huntsville Virtual Academy
Huntsville Virtual Academy (HVA) Registration is open via the link below through Friday, July 29, 2022.
Huntsville City Schools is pleased to offer a virtual learning experience for students in ninth through twelfth grade who are zoned for Huntsville City Schools and currently enrolled. After enrolling, students may choose to continue in the traditional learning environment or enroll in virtual learning with Huntsville Virtual Academy (HVA). Students will remain enrolled at their home school as a Huntsville City Schools student while taking virtual classes through HVA.
The virtual curriculum features courses in mathematics, science, language arts, world languages, social studies, as well as electives. In collaboration with the school counselor, virtual school students will have the opportunity to select a virtual pathway to meet his/her individual learning goals. Students desiring a virtual, non-traditional learning environment are encouraged to apply.
The link to enroll in HVA for the 2022-23 Academic School Year can be found at the top of this page. Please be aware that according to guidelines and procedures set by Huntsville City Schools, an evaluation of your student’s prior academic performance will be conducted to determine eligibility for HVA this school year.
- Students will be required to maintain course grade averages of 70% or higher to remain in Huntsville Virtual Academy.
- At the midway point and at the end of the 1st 9 weeks, students with course averages below 70% will be contacted by HVA and school administration to schedule in-person academic support time to address non-mastery of standards.
- At the end of the first semester, students who have not achieved course grade averages of 70% will be recommended to return to their home zoned school for in-person learning.
Virtual Attendance Procedures:
- Attendance is a combination of measures that indicates if a student is demonstrating adequate participation in HVA coursework.
- This not only includes the actual attendance hours in the HVA learning platform, but also lesson and assignment completion, and communication with teachers/school administration.
- In order to be in full attendance with Huntsville City Schools, a student must:
- Complete and submit course assignments in accordance with due dates to make adequate progress toward course completion.
- Communicate with Huntsville City School staff as needed via the learning management platform, telephone conversations, and email correspondence.
- Adhere to the Huntsville City Schools calendar for attendance days. Students may choose to work on non-instructional days as long as they are on pace and displaying content mastery in all courses.
Huntsville Virtual Academy students will remain enrolled in their home school. This option is available for students who wish to receive standards-based instruction in a virtual environment without attending classes in a traditional, face-to-face setting. This instructional model is suitable for highly motivated students who want to engage in educational experiences from home.
- All learning occurs remotely. Learning materials can be accessed anywhere at any time using online learning management systems.
- All instructional materials are pre-recorded and self-paced, allowing flexibility for students.
- Devices will be provided by Huntsville City Schools.
- Students are required to have access to internet service.
- Students will receive additional academic support as needed.
- Students must come to campuses for all standardized testing.
- Schedules will follow the home school format (i.e., traditional block or modified block schedule).
- Course schedules will be determined by the home school counselor, who will work with students to ensure a schedule that best fits their academic needs within the virtual learning setting.
- HVA follows the HCS school calendar for all beginning and end dates of the school year: holidays and breaks, and weather days.
- Grades will be reported to the students from HVA and sent to the student’s home school for final reporting.
- Students who graduate from high school while an HVA student will receive a diploma from Huntsville City Schools and are eligible for honors graduate designations.
- Students can participate in clubs and organizations at their zoned school.
- Students can participate in athletics at their zoned school (subject to Alabama High School Athletic Association eligibility).
- Students can participate in any event hosted by their zoned school that occurs outside of typical school hours (i. e., homecoming events, graduation ceremonies, etc.).
- For additional questions, please contact the zoned school.
Acceptance & Orientation:
- Students will be notified of their acceptance to HVA via email by an HCS staff member with instructions for next steps. It is important to provide a valid email address on the application.
- There will be an in-person orientation for all HVA students and families to answer any questions from 5:30pm to 6:30pm on July 28, 2022 at Jemison High School Cafetorium.