Academy for Science and Foreign Language
The Academy for Science and Foreign Language is an International Baccalaureate World School with a focus on science and world languages. The faculty and staff are committed to providing students with a world-class education where international-mindedness, excellence, and service learning are the norm. The faculty ensure that all students not only strive for but attain high levels of achievement both socially and academically. Our success at ASFL encompasses a focus on the child as a whole. By engaging in unique and collaborative learning experiences, students discover commonalities among children who live outside of the United States. Students participate in a variety of learning activities such as digital 1:1 curriculum, robotics, 3D design and modeling, cyber security, fine arts, International Festival, Future City team, Chemistry Troupe, and daily instruction in world languages. From the age of four, our students are exposed to the IB Learner Profile traits. These traits center on developing students who are knowledgeable, caring, open-minded, and principled. Additionally, students are expected to be inquirers and communicators, as well as reflective thinkers. By immersing our students in the IB Learner Profile, they are aware of the greater need to develop and grow personally. In support of the International Baccalaureate philosophy, teachers and students go beyond the classroom walls to experience high levels of achievement and excellence. This has resulted in a myriad of academic achievements for our students such as state foreign language awards and national science team championships. Students achieve excellence as a result of the many opportunities and engaging experiences they receive at the Academy for Science and Foreign Language.
Our Mission Statement
Educate students to understand our diverse world through the study of world languages and science as Huntsville premiere PreK-8 International Baccalaureate school.
Unique Program Components
- Daily instruction in multiple world languages
- Specialized science electives, extracurricular activities, field experiences, and lab opportunities
- Through the IB programme, students experience an integrated curriculum focused on international mindedness
Steps to Apply
- Students across Huntsville may apply to ASFL during the magnet acceptance window (Oct. 3 - Nov. 4) for the following school year.
- Parents/Guardians complete the online application.
- Seats in PreK-5 are awarded based on a lottery system. Students are not required to reapply each year (including into the 6th grade).
- New students entering 6-8th grade, complete the online application and submit a written essay response based on the magnet mission statement.