Columbia High School
Educate internationally-minded students through second language development, project-based learning, and community service as Huntsville’s only International Baccalaureate high school.
CHS MYP Overview (Grades 9-10)
The Middle Years Programme consists of eight subjects and is designed for 9th and 10th grade students at the high school level. Students within the Middle Years Programme are encouraged to develop to their highest potential, to explore their own learning preferences, to take appropriate risks, and to reflect and develop a strong sense of personal identity. The Middle Years Programme culminates in a personal project, designed and implemented by each student. The Middle Years Programme is considered to be a whole-school programme that prepares students for further successful study.
CHS DP Overview (Grades 11-12)
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme is a challenging, well rounded, two-year pre-university curriculum that leads to a qualification that is widely recognized by the world’s leading universities. The Diploma Programme prepares 11th and 12th grade students for universities and encourages them to ask challenging questions, learn how to learn, develop a strong sense of their own identity and culture, and develop the ability to communicate with and understand people from other countries and cultures. The curriculum contains six subject groups as well as community service, extended essay, and a course in theory of knowledge.
CHS CP Overview (Grades 11-12)
The IB Career-related Programme (CP) is a two year program that provides a high standard of international education through its provision of IB Diploma courses and the CP core, and also provides direct access to local, national, and international higher educational institutions with its requirement of an accredited career related study. The CP prepares students for flexibility and mobility in a range of employment opportunities as well as continuing lifelong learning.
CP students will take a minimum of two Diploma Programme courses to include at least one higher level (2 year) and one standard level (1 year) class. Although only one higher level course is required, students can take two. DP History and English are the higher level courses that are recommended. It is not recommended that CP students take more than three DP classes.
The CP core will have these five components to the programme that must be completed, in addition to the DP classes mentioned above:
- Reflective Project
- Language Portfolio
- Community and Service Project
- Ethics Course both 11th and 12th Grades
- Career-related certificate program (Athletics, JROTC, PLTW, IT Academy, Health Science, Culinary, etc.)
Requirements to Apply
- Interested students from throughout the Huntsville City School system may submit application for a choice of up to two magnet programs and/or schools.
- A central application for all magnet programs can be accessed and submitted online during a designated application window time period.
- Students may apply for the next academic year in the fall of the current year.
- Selection criteria related to the magnet theme will be used to select new students. A committee will review holistically the data and information about each new applicant in grades nine through twelve. Applicants for Columbia High School IB MYP Programme grades 9 and 10 does not have selection criteria.
- Grade Average – Diploma Programme (85%); Career-Related Programme (75%)
- Written Essay Response