New Century Technology High School
Immerse motivated, highly capable students in advanced studies and industry experience in the fields of computer science, engineering, and biomedical science as Huntsville’s only STEM magnet high school.
At New Century Technology High School, students complete Science, Technology, and Engineering courses focused on research and application for real-world problems. Our students gain strong academic knowledge and skills by completing specialized courses in one of our three Areas of Study - Biomedical Science, Computer Science, and Engineering. Students in the Biomedical Science Strand learn about 21st century Biomedical Innovations, Biotechnology, and Bioinformatics applications used for genome analysis, disease studies, and patient care. Biomedical students also become well-versed in Medical Terminology and explore numerous medical career options through job shadowing and internships at local hospitals and local universities. Computer Science students learn about securing networks, operating systems, and applications to mitigate risks, in addition to problem-solving skills using computer programming languages like Python, C++, and Java. Computer Science students have the opportunity to compete in national cyber security and programming contests, as well as to become certified in IT Essentials, Network+, CCENT, CCNA, Security+ and Certified Ethical Hacking. Engineering students learn about 3D modeling software and design solutions to real problems by understanding the design process, research and analysis techniques, communication methods, engineering standards, and technical documentation. Engineering students have opportunities to collaborate with industry leaders, such as NASA and Raytheon, in systems engineering projects and original research. In addition to our core curriculum in these three Areas of Study, NCTHS students can take specialized electives such as Modeling and Simulation, App and Game Development, Genetic Technologies, Computer Networking, Multimedia Production, Human Biochemistry, Robotics, and Engineering Concepts.
Requirements to Apply:
- Interested students from throughout the Huntsville City School system may submit an application for a choice of up to two magnet programs and/or schools.
- A central application for all magnet programs can be accessed and submitted online during a designated application window time period.
- Students may apply for the next academic year in the fall of the current year.
- Selection criteria related to the magnet theme will be used to select new students. A committee will review holistically the data and information about each new applicant in grades nine through twelve
- Grade Average in Core Classes of 80%
- Written Essay Response
For more information, contact the magnet coordinator, Mrs. Julie Summers.