Huntsville City Schools and Apple Bus Company are pleased to offer families access to our new school bus tracking app, SafeStop. The app shows the approximate location of the designated bus, its Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) at bus stops, and any important status updates. When using the app, please keep in mind that this is a tool meant to help you plan around arrival and departure times. Please arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes before the expected arrival time to prevent the bus from being delayed for other parents, and to prevent potentially unsafe boarding situations.
To get started, access one of our available versions:
- SafeStop Web Application
- SafeStop for Apple Devices (iTunes)
- SafeStop for Android Devices (Google Play)
Steps to Register
Note: If you already have the Safe Stop Application downloaded on your device from last school year, you do not need to download it again. You can skip Step 1 of the “Steps to Register” below. All users, even if they used the application last school year, must complete Steps 2-6 below in order to properly configure Safe Stop for use this school year.
- Download the SafeStop app to your mobile device by using the above links or by searching for "SafeStop" on iTunes or Google Play.
- Click/Tap Create An Account, and from the drop-down list select your state. From the new drop-down that populates, select Huntsville City Schools.
- Enter your valid contact information and click/tap REGISTER.
- Check your email for an email verification code, enter it into the app, and click SUBMIT.
- Enter your Student ID(s) and click/tap SUBMIT. To retrieve your child's SSID:
- Log on to the PowerSchool/iNow Parent Portal (Grades Online).
- Select "Demographic" under Student Information on the left menu.
- Select State ID Number.
- Set your notification preferences and click/tap SUBMIT to complete your secure registration.
Setting Up Your Account
Once you have successfully completed your registration, click/tap GO TO MY STOPS to start setting up your account.
- Once you login to your new account, your assigned bus stops (AM and PM) should populate. If you do not see your bus stops, or your bus stops are incorrect, please reach out to the HCS Transportation Department.
- Adjust the notification preferences for your stop by clicking/tapping and dragging it on your screen. You may also widen the area of your preferences by expanding the circle. You will be notified once the bus has entered your selected notification area.
Using the App
- In the Map View feature, you can see the approximate location of your child's bus on its route. If this appears to be incorrect, or if the bus is not moving, please contact the Customer Support Team using the contact information below.
- A red pin is used to indicate your bus stop. Click/tap EDIT STOP PREFERENCES to view and adjust your notification area. You will receive a text message letting you know that your student's bus has entered your notification area.
- Access SafeStop's Alerts & Messaging feature by tapping the message box icon in the bottom center of the screen. The alerts feature will allow you to review any messages from your school or the HCS Transportation Department.
- To change your settings or connect with us, tap the gear icon located in the bottom right corner of your screen, or contact us directly with the contact information below.