Planning for Your Future
Parents and Students,
If you participate in the Federal Free/Reduced Lunch program, PLEASE see your school counselor. You may be eligible for fee waivers to help pay for ACT, SAT, NCAA and college application fees.
ALL scholarships will be posted in Naviance and updated throughout the year. If you need login information, please see your school counselor. Check out the 2015-2016 Huntsville City Schools College and Career Guide listed under "Downloads."
It's never too early to start thinking about your career! Do you want to be an engineer, a fire fighter, or an English teacher? There's something for everyone! We encourage you to start thinking now about the things you enjoy doing and the things you're passionate about. Use the links below to guide you as you explore different options for the future.
- Alabama Career Planning System (Kuder) - Find education and career exploration activities as well as college financial aid information. List of Alabama's Hot 40 Demand Occupations. Log in to the Kuder program (ask your Guidance Counselor for login information). Find careers that fit with your interests, skills, and values through interactive inventories and quizzes.
- CareerOneStop - A great place to compare occupations, salaries, and job outlook. Take advantage of the Tools and Resources such as the Skills Profiler, Ability Profiler, Interest Profiler, Work Importance Locator, and Employability Checkup.
- College Board Resources - Search college majors and career profiles. Search and compare colleges. Search your major to find colleges that offer it.
- Salary Comparison - Search careers by category and zip code to find job descriptions and base salaries based on location.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Search hundreds of jobs to learn about training and education needed, earnings, expected job prospects, job tasks, and working conditions.
Higher education in whatever form - community college, university, technical school - is the opportunity of a lifetime. Being academically prepared will help students make the most of that opportunity.
As Huntsville City Schools works to prepare students for higher education, we're also taking proactive steps to increase our students' knowledge about various careers, especially those in our community! We feel students and parents need the information, skills and tools to make informed decisions regarding post-secondary educational options and careers.
Our goal is to bring college and career awareness to the forefront with a variety of activities and resources for students and parents.
Visiting colleges is a very important part of the process of finding the right college for each student. Students/parents may always contact the college to set up a tour on campus. Another great option is to attend a College Preview Day. These days are often held on the weekend and are designed for high school seniors and their families to attend and learn more about the college. The events often include a campus tour as well as informational sessions on topics like housing, financial aid, academics, and more! Check out the website at the college for more information or to find out if they will be hosting an Open House or Preview Day this fall or spring. **12th grade students are allowed two excused absences from school to visit colleges. See your School Counselor for details and a College Day approval form.