School Readiness (Pre-K)
- Approach to play and learning
- Emotional and social development
- Health and physical development
- Language development and communication
- Cognitive development
For information other than what is listed below, please visit our Pre-K FAQ page.
School Readiness Director:
Appendix B: 2019-2020 Sliding Fee Scale for the First Class Pre-K Program
Based on the Annual 2019 Health & Human Services Poverty Guidelines/Federal Poverty Levels for the 48 Contiguous States and D.C.
*Add $4,320 for each person over 8
|Percentage||Parent Fees Not to Exceed|
Children must be four years of age on or before September 1st, 2020. Copies of the following documents are required age verification document (such as, birth certificates, passports, official medical documents, official documents from other countries, divorce decree or adoption papers), immunization card, and two proofs of residence. Please view the Pre-K FAQ for more details.
Reminder: This is only an application for the Pre-Kindergarten program, NOT registration. Applying for Pre-K does not guarantee placement into the program.
The 2020 - 2021 HCS Pre-K application requires TWO steps this year. In order to qualify, if selected, you MUST complete both applications from the links listed below.
- Completion of the Huntsville City Schools Pre-Kindergarten Application (Opens March 9th, 2020 at 8:00am)
- The application for AAA and ASFL has already taken place. This application is for non-magnet schools only.
- Completion of the Alabama First Class Pre-K Online Application
Both applications are required to be completed in order for your child/children to be considered as applicants for the 2020-2021 school year.
(Please feel free to donate additional items to the classroom at your own will.)
- Cloth mat with cover attached (please, no plastic mats)
- Complete change of clothes (pants, shirt, socks, and underwear)
- Backpack (large enough for a binder)
- 2 boxes of Kleenex
- 1 bottle of hand sanitizer
- Container of Lysol wipes
"Meet the Teacher" will take place if your child is selected for the Pre-Kindergarten (Parents and selected Pre-K children should attend the session that best meets the parents'/teachers' schedules.)
Powered by the LENA Research Foundation
Raise a Smarter, Happier Baby!
Free classes for parents of babies 0-30 months
- Registration now open for Spring Session beginning in April 2020
- Location: Academy for Science and Foreign Languague (ASFL)
- Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (256) 428-6886.
LENA Start sessions give you:
- Ten FREE 1-hour group sessions
- Technology to help you measure talk
- Childcare during sessions
- Sessions in Spanish or English
- All materials, including free books
- Family meals provided
- Guaranteed slot in HCS Pre-K upon completion (must live within the Huntsville City Schools zones upon age requirement)
LENA Start helps parents of infants and toddlers (0-30 months) close the "talk gap" to build their babies' brains, improve their social and emotional wellbeing, and make them more prepared for school and for life. It does that through a short series of instructional meetings where parents learn to use the LENA System to monitor the home language environment, and how to use techniques to improve the quantity and quality of adult-child talk.
If you are interested in a sponsorship for the LENA Program, contact the HCS School Readiness Department at 256-428-6886.