2017 Summer Reading
About the Project
- The purpose of summer reading is to encourage students to practice reading skills and to develop an enjoyment for reading.
- The plan for summer reading was developed by separate committees of high school and middle school teachers.
- Once the teacher committees created suggestion lists for summer reading, those suggestions were presented to parent committees.
- During the process, teachers met many times and read multiple books to evaluate the selections. At least one parent on each committee also read all book selections.
- Informal feedback from students, parents and teachers was considered when developing the 2017 summer reading plan.
- Students will read one of the novels from the list for their grade span.
- Students in English Honors and English AP will have an additional reading assignment, which is posted below in the Honors/AP Reading List.
- Students will complete a project on the book they select. We hope that families will choose to read the selected novel together and welcome parent support as students complete the assessment of their choice.
- We encourage local churches, civic organizations, and businesses to host “book talks” and other community activities to support summer reading.
|Grades 6-8 Reading List||Grades 6-8 Projects|
|High School Reading List||High School Projects|
|Honors and AP Courses Reading List||See Appropriate Grade Above|