Obtaining a Transcript and Student Records

The Huntsville City Schools Records Department will typically respond to a mailed request within 24-72 hours. Walk-in requests are provided at that time unless additional research is required.

Current & Recent Students

The records of current students are stored onsite at the school; please contact your child's school for immediate assistance. Former students should contact their last school attended if within 5 years. In the case of school closures, records are typically transferred to HCS Records Department and can be ordered using the 

Former Students

Note: Former HCS students eighteen (18) years of age or older must request their records themselves unless legal documentation is provided allowing another adult to obtain records on the former student's behalf.  Confirmation of requestor's identification is required.

  • The records of former students are transferred to HCS Records Department within five (5) years of the student graduating or leaving the HCS District. If less than five years have passed since the student last attended an HCS school, please contact the last school attended. Otherwise, you may order your records using the HCS Record Request Form.
  • School Districts, Universities, Employers, and Verification Companies may request the records of a former student if a physically signed record release statement on agency letterhead is provided with the request and fee.
  • Officers of the Court, Law Enforcement, and Social Services Organizations may request the records of a former student if the request is accompanied by legal documentation(subpoena) allowing HCS Records Department to release the records.

Additional Information

Student records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Their privacy is not impacted by the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). FOIA does not grant anyone the right to view a student’s school transcripts, school district records of attendance or an individual’s criminal record. Records regarding a former student are not covered under FOIA but are accessible to said individual, or a third party at their written consent, under the Privacy Act.

For G.E.D. records, contact the State Department of Education in Montgomery, AL. @ 800-392-8086.

We cannot provide copies of diplomas. 

Back to top