2023 Summer Food Program
2023 The Summer Food Service Program will begin during the first week of June. Break for a Plate is a Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) that is created to ensure all Alabama children can continue to receive nutritious meals throughout their time away from school. SFSP is a federally-funded, state-administered program which reimburses providers who serve free, healthy meals to children and teens aged 18 and younger when school is not in session.
While many receive free and reduced meals during the school year, children need healthy food all year long. Program sites are deemed eligible based on USDA requirements as determined by the Alabama State Department of Education.
- The first half of the program will operate during summer learning activities from June 5 through June 29, 2023.
- The second half of the program will operate from July 3 through July 13, 2023
- The program will operate on a 4-day work week (Monday-Thursday).
- The Program will be closed for holidays on Monday, June 19th and Tuesday, July 4th.
HCS Summer Learning Sites:
Breakfast will be served from 7:30am – 8:30am.
Lunch will be served from 11:30am – 12:30pm.
- AAA Elementary/Middle
- Highlands Elementary
- Lakewood Elem
- Martin Luther King Jr. Elem
- McDonnell Elementary
- Chapman Elementary/Middle
- Ronald Mcnair Jr. High
- Sonnie Hereford Elem.
- Whitesburg Elem./Middle
Community Summer Sites:
- Richard Showers Splash Pad | Serving 10:30AM – 12:00PM
- Brahan Spring Rec. Center | Serving 12:45pm – 1:45pm
- Calvary Hills | (TBA)
Weather may impact service days and times