Employment: New Applicants
Interested in joining the Huntsville City Schools team? Here’s how to get started.
For information about applying for a job at Huntsville City Schools, view the information under the Career Opportunities heading below.
Office Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm
The primary responsibilities of the Human Resources Department includes managing and coordinating the hiring/employment process, including recruitment, interviewing, resignations and terminations, orientation of new hires, substitutes and background checks; as well as managing benefits and compensation, employee relations, and reviewing, analyzing and evaluating job descriptions and salary schedules.
The Human Resources Department is currently located at: Chapman Elementary School, 2006 Reuben Dr., Huntsville, AL 35811
The Huntsville City Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, or age in programs, activities, or employment
- New Employee Information
Dear New Employee:
Congratulations! We are excited that you will be joining the Huntsville City Schools team. As part of this process, please review the following items which require your attention.State Ethics Training
- All employees who earn $81,000 or more annually are required to complete the Statement of Economic Interest Form. Also, every full-time employee serving as a supervisor must file a Statement of Economic Interest Form. Employees have 90 days to comply with this subsection. Training is provided through the ethics website at ethics.alabama.gov. Upon completion of watching the 55 minute training video, you will be allowed to print out a Certificate of Completion with your name and agency that is date/time stamped automatically. You are required to provide a copy of this certificate to Human Resources, Room 103, to be placed in your file for verification for the Alabama Department of Examiners of Public Accounts. The Ethics Commission will be notified electronically that the training has been completed.
New Employee Forms
- You will receive new hire forms via SearchSoft.
- Please check your email and complete all the documents in your profile. If you have not received your new hire forms please contact HR (256) 963-9855.
*The Huntsville City Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, or age in programs, activities, or employment.*
- Background Check
- You must have a cleared background check before you can start working with Huntsville City Schools. If you have questions please contact HR (256) 963-9855.
- You will be scheduled for an orientation session within 30 days of your start date with Huntsville City Schools. If are concerned that you have not been contacted, please contact the Human Resources Department to inquire about the next orientation session. Benefits and policies will be covered during this session and you will be responsible for ensuring that if you miss a scheduled orientation session that you contact Human Resources to make alternate arrangements.
- Please bring the following items with you to orientation:
- Ethics Training Certificate, if applicable
- Appropriate, original identification document(s) necessary to complete your I-9 (if not already submitted to Human Resources)
- In addition, teachers or administrators should bring the following:
- Official Transcripts
- Become a Substitute Teacher
Subtitutes currently earn $140 a day!
Instructions for Applying to be a Substitute Teacher for Huntsville City Schools (HCS):
Before applying, you should gather the following information/documents:High school/college transcripts (as applicable) Teaching certificate (if available) References will be requested as part of the application process Optional: Resume
A principal may block a substitute from his/her school. If a substitute receives TWO requests from principals, directors of instruction, or the Superintendent or Deputy Superintendent to be removed from schools, a letter will be sent from the Human Resources Department to notify the substitute they have been removed. Human Resources will remove the substitute from RoleCall and principals will be notified the individual is ineligible to serve as a substitute for Huntsville City Schools.
Helpful HintsIf you are applying to a substitute teaching position, please select “Classified” as your applicant type. DO NOT SELECT CERTIFIED SUBSTITUTE. Please make sure you POST your application when completed. If you keep your application PRIVATE, you will not appear as an applicant.
- To the right of the Substitute Teacher listing, select “View”. This will take you to the listing for that particular position.
- At the bottom of the page, select “Login and Apply”.
- If you do not have an account, please select “Create Account”.
- If you have an account, please enter your User Name and Password and select “Login”.
- Please read the Disclaimer and make your selection at the bottom of the page.
- You will be redirected to the View Jobs Form for the Substitute Teacher position. To apply, please select “Apply for this job” in the top right corner of the page.
- You will see the following message in red in the top right corner, “ You have successfully applied for this job”.
- The application process is complete.
Note: You do NOT need to obtain your Alabama Substitute License or background check before applying. If selected to substitute at Huntsville City Schools, you will be required to obtain these prior to beginning substitute teaching.
You may begin the application process by following the steps below:Visit the ALSDE Job Board to view a listing of the current openings for Huntsville City Schools. Select the header “Job Title” to sort the listings alphabetically.
- Contracted Staffing & Volunteering Information
Huntsville City Schools utilizes contracted staffing services from the vendor below to support our schools in the areas of Instructional Assistants. Interested candidates may contact Spur Staffing directly to inquire about current staffing needs.
Huntsville City Schools contracts with Apple Bus Company to provide Bus Drivers, Monitors and Bus Mechanics. Interested individuals may apply directly with Apple Bus.
Volunteer Background Check Information
We're Working to Keep Our Schools Safe
Thank you for your interest in volunteering. Keeping our students, faculty and staff safe is a top priority. To help ensure this safety, background screens for volunteers are a necessity. We have contracted with BIB to conduct high quality background checks on our potential volunteers using their Secure Volunteer technology. If you have been selected as a non-supplemented volunteer coach or if your volunteer position has been designated as requiring a background check by the school administrator, please click the link below to start the process.