Supt. Art Show Winners Advance, One Wins State!
Thank you to all the students that participated in the Superintendent's District Wide Art Show! The reception was held on Tuesday, January 17th in the Lee Blackbox Art Gallery. Families, community members, and HCS staff members were on hand for an evening of visual arts excellence and to celebrate the hard work that students put in to creating the wonderful masterpieces that were on display. Thank you to all parents, administrators, and visual arts teachers for supporting and allowing students to express themselves through the Arts!
The winning pieces will now advance to the State Superintendent Art Show in February and March. This means that the student winners will compete with peers from every school district in the state of Alabama for a chance to place as a state-wide first, second, or third-place winner; or place in the honorable mention category. Just making it to the state competition is an honor, and students will also receive participation certificates.
For secondary level students, their artwork also has a chance to be considered in the Best of Show category.
We are happy to announce that we already have a state winner at the elementary level! See below for more!
Special Congratulations to our State Winner:
McDonnell ES, Grade 4
Visual Arts Teacher: Inodu Piri
Principal: Frazier Barnes
HCS is also proud to announce the overall HCS district winners in the following categories:
Elementary Level (Grades K-6):
- James Dangerfield: Rolling Hills ES, Grade 6
- Auron Cantrell: Challenger ES, Grade 4
- Jonathan Pascual-Reyes: McDonnell ES, Grade 4
- Scarlet Crowe: Goldsmith Schiffman ES, Grade 3
- Irene Heenan: Academy for Academics and Arts ES (Magnet), Grade 3
- Zuley Turrubiartes: Academy for Academics and Arts ES (Magnet), Grade 3
- Charlotte LaVere: Academy for Academics and Arts ES (Magnet), Grade 2
- Vivian Scarbrough: Weatherly Heights ES, Grade 4
- Karma Ford: Academy for Academics and Arts ES (Magnet), Grade 6
- Ashley Candelario-Pena: Ridgecrest ES, Grade 2
Secondary Level (Grades 7-12)
- Maddie Turner: Lee HS (Magnet), Grade 12
- Lucky Kuetemeyer: Lee HS (Magnet), Grade 12
- Dean Vicuna: Grissom HS, Grade 10
- Maia Bennett: Lee HS (Magnet), Grade 10
- Sheryfat Osinboyejo: Lee HS (Magnet), Grade 11
- Nadia Smith: Lee HS (Magnet), Grade 11
- Isabella Rees: Academy for Academics and Arts MS (Magnet), Grade 7
- Cesia Larin: Whitesburg MS, Grade 7
- Cathy Tran: Grissom HS, Grade 11
- Elise Roche: Huntsville HS, Grade 11
If you would like to see the statewide exhibit of student art pieces, the exhibits will take place on the following dates at the Old Supreme Court Library of the Alabama State Capitol. (Please call for hours of operation: 334-242-3935)
- Secondary Level Exhibit: February 3-24, 2023
- Elementary Level Exhibit: March 3-24, 2023
Once again, HCS congratulates all students and wishes them the best of luck at the remainder of the state competition!