Face Covering Procedure Reminder
Alabama Governor Kay Ivey's statewide masking order will be lifted this Friday, April 9th. However, the district would like to remind all constituents and stakeholders that, pursuant to Huntsville City Board of Education Policy 4.18, all individuals – including students, employees, visitors, and vendors – must wear a face covering that covers both the nose and mouth at all times while at or inside any building, facility, or bus or other vehicle owned, leased, or operated by the school board. The exceptions to the face covering procedures are listed as follows:
- Extracurricular and Extracurricular Events: HCS Extracurricular Protocols will be followed.
- Athletics and Athletic Events: HCS Sports Guidelines - Covid-19 will be followed.
- Driving Alone in District Vehicles: Face coverings are not required when driving alone.
- Exigent Circumstances:
- A face covering will not be required if a person is experiencing acute difficulty breathing, is unconscious or incapacitated, is receiving health care where removal of the face covering is necessary or is personally unable to remove the face covering without assistance.
- A face covering shall not be required for persons who present school officials with a documentation from a licensed health care provider that the person has a medical, physical or psychological contraindication that prevents the person from being able to safely wear a face covering.
- Indoors or Outdoors when Alone: Face coverings shall not be required for people inside school district buildings when they are alone in an enclosed space such as an office space or a classroom, or outdoors of a school district building or school district facility when person is alone.
- Infants: Face coverings shall not be required for people younger than two (2) years of age.
- Instructional Delivery: Face coverings shall not be required for employees working with hearing impaired students, providing phonetic based instruction or while providing speech related services.
- Mealtimes: Face coverings shall not be required for any person inside or outside a school district building or facility while the person is eating or drinking; however, face coverings must be worn when not actively eating or drinking.
- Strenuous Physical Activity: Face coverings shall not be required for any person inside or outside of any school district facility or school district building while such a person is engaged in strenuous physical activity. When people are not engaged in physical activity, the face covering shall be immediately replaced.
This HCS procedure shall stand independently and supersede any local or state revocations of mask ordinances and will remain in effect until rescinded or amended by the Superintendent.