Highlighting Premiere HCS Arts Programs for National Arts Week
Celebrating National Arts Week: September 12-18, 2021!
Huntsville City Schools prides itself in having many arts offerings throughout all our HCS schools, however we are the only school system in Madison County to have specialized Arts programs in our highly sought Arts Magnet Programs! This is a special week that allows two of our Magnet Programs to shine!The Academy for Academics and Arts (AAA) and the Lee High School Creative and Performing Arts Program both have a long history of providing and exposing individuals to enriching Arts Education opportunities since being established.
- AAA is HCS’ oldest Magnet Program and has had a major impact throughout the Huntsville Community. Many have seen the AAA Ambassadors “Stars and Clowns” perform at community events or come to school performances throughout the school year. Some of those notable school productions include Lion King, Jr., James, and the Giant Peach, as well as multiple dance and musical performances that are student led.
- Lee High School’s Arts program has not only produced students who have performed on Broadway, but there are many individuals throughout the Huntsville community in a variety of occupations who attended Lee High School specifically because of the extensive arts program. Some of Lee’s most notable productions include Tarzan, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, dance, musical productions, Visual Arts shows, and Readers’ Theatre.
In the words of one of our most recent alumni who went to AAA and a member of the 2021 graduating Lee Magnet class: “The arts have allowed me to learn life skills, like the ability to communicate with a variety of people. I now have lifelong friends and the arts prepared me for my future career goals.” -Logan DonahueOur Magnet Arts Programs pride ourselves on our community connections. We encourage all our stakeholders and community members to celebrate our programs by partnering with us in the following ways:
- Volunteer! Our programs are always looking for volunteers, especially those that specialize in areas such as applying makeup, sewing skills, musicianship, and professional artistry who are available to host real world “workshops” for students.
- Support our Programs! Join us by purchasing tickets and coming to one of our productions so that not only are you able to see our talented students but also your financial support ensures our arts programs are sustained and provide the ultimate experience for students.
- Reach Out! Touch base with our school contacts to hear specific needs. Each year our arts programs are reframing and providing interest-based opportunities for students.
- Host an Event! Our goal is to widen our footprint in the community and to let everyone know who we are. Display our student’s artwork, allow our students to perform at an event you are hosting, or even have our magnet ambassadors from both schools speak with your group to share their experience and how your support helps enrich their educational experience.
- Sponsor, Sponsor, Sponsor! There is always a need for resources to support large scale projects. Our arts programs need sponsors in a variety of ways to include but not limited to state of the art materials, a chance for students to participate in a variety of competitions, having professional Artist in Residence, allowing faculty members to participate in Teacher Fellowship programs, and so much more!
Lastly, if you want to attend some of our planned 2021-2022 Productions (delivery TBD depending on health conditions) please join us for some of the following events. More events will be added, and more detailed information will be listed on the HCS and school webpages.
Lee Creative and Performing Arts
For more information on our Arts Magnet Programs, you can visit:
The application to apply to the Arts Magnet Programs for the 2022-2023 school year will be November 2021. Exact times and days will be advertised in October.