March News from Dr. Wallace
Challenger is on the move in March! We have lots happening, so let me get right to the information.
- Health – Please emphasize good hand washing with your child before eating and after the restroom. Coughing and sneezing should be into sleeves, not hands. Stay home when sick. Write an excuse when you come back! We are also requesting donations of Clorox wipes and tissues for classroom. Please send in what you can with your child. Thank you!
- AR Goals – Starting Monday, March 9th everyone has new AR reading goals. Ask your child about the new AR Garden that has sprouted in our main hallway. Our goal is to have 100% of the students achieve their AR reding goals the last nine weeks of school. Please help us by reading at home for 20 minutes a night.
- Student Led Conferences – March 17, 2020 we will be conducting school wide student led conferences. A flyer with specific times and locations will be sent next week. This is a great opportunity for your to see what your child has been learning and celebrate with them.
- Registration for Next Year – ALL parents received an email from Huntsville City Schools in February with a link for online registration for next year. Please look in your spam/junk in case you missed it. It provides directions and links to register your child for next year. We cannot place students for class next year without the completed online registration.
- 2020-2021 Kindergarten Registration – K Registration for next year opened Feb. 3, 2020. Please visit the Huntsville City Schools website to register online under the enrollment link on the main page. Once you have completed the online registration, please visit the school office with your child’s birth certificate, immunization card, parent driver’s license. Bring two proofs of residence, which would include a lease, mortgage, or deed and your most current utility or cable bill. K for a Day is planned for Friday, April 24, 9:00 – 10:30 am.
- 2020-2021 Pre-K Applications – Applications are being accepted March 9-23, 2020 for Pre-K. Please visit Huntsville City Schools website - Departments - School Readiness - to access the application.
- Student Computers – Student computers will need to stay at school beginning March 9th, for the remainder of the year. Please make sure your child brings back the charger as well. We will be checking computers to make sure they are ready for ACAP testing beginning on April 6th.
- Lunch & Learn with Dr. Wallace – Please join me on Friday March 13th for a parent lunch and learn. We will be talking about the upcoming ACAP state tests. Bring your lunch and learn more about these important tests.
- ACAP Testing – the Alabama Comprehensive Assessment Program (ACAP) will begin April 6th through the month of April for students in grades 2-5. Assessments are given in math and reading for 2-5th grade, and in science for our 4th graders. These are important and challenging tests, and we are practicing using the tools of the tests now so that students will be comfortable with the computer format when the tests are given. You will be given a specific schedule after spring break. We know our students are ready to do their best!
Thank you again to everyone who attended the PTA Glow Dance last Friday. We had a blast! Special thanks to Michelle Salehi and her committee for all their hard work to make this event so much fun!
Happy Spring Ahead!
Michele Wallace. Ed.D