Mr. Miller Receives Kappa Kappa Psi Alumni Association’s Achievement Award!
On May 5, Band Director Shelman Miller was presented the Kappa Kappa Psi Alumni Association’s Brent Cannon Music Education Alumni Achievement Award. Making the presentation on behalf of the fraternity was Dominic Alati Jr., Awards and Activities Director for Kappa Kappa Psi Alumni Association.
Kappa Kappa Psi is a National Honorary College and University Band Fraternity founded at Oklahoma State University in 1919 whose main goals are to provide its members and campus bands with leadership, service, and social opportunities while also promulgating respect and loyalty among its members and the band world. Shelman Miller was initiated into the Iota Nu chapter at Alabama A&M University in 1998.
Shelman Miller, an Atlanta Georgia native began his musical career at an early age. His formal teaching began at age six when he was first introduced to the piano. Shelman began learning the violin as a part of the elementary school orchestra. While continuing private piano lessons, Shelman won several superior ratings in National Piano Guild Competitions. His musical training continued to venture into new instruments as he was recruited to play tuba in middle school. By the time Mr. Miller graduated from Benjamin Elijah Mays High School, he had performed with every ensemble offered-- piano with the jazz band, tuba with the marching and symphonic bands, and trombone with the concert band. While in high school, Shelman also performed for the Georgia Music Educators Association, was principal tuba player for the Atlanta Public Schools Youth Orchestra and was selected to be a member of the 1996 Atlanta Centennial Olympic Marching Band.
Shelman resides in Huntsville, Alabama where he has taught in the Huntsville City School System since 2002. He is currently the band director at Columbia High School in Huntsville, Alabama. Mr. Miller stays musically active by performing regularly with community bands such as the Huntsville Concert Band and the Twickenham Winds. Shelman has performed in ensembles to accompany the Aeolians of Oakwood University, as well as the Alabama A & M University Concert Choir. Shelman is also the tuba player and co-leader for Coolbone Brass Band of New Orleans and has toured Ecuador, France, Italy, and Turkey, playing for several Jazz festivals such as the Umbria Jazz Festival in Perugia, Italy. Mr. Miller also serves as pianist for the Male and Youth Choirs at West Mastin Lake Baptist Church in Huntsville, Alabama as well as the adult choir at Mt. Lebanon Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama.
Shelman earned his Bachelors and Masters degrees in Instrumental Music Education at Alabama A & M University where he has also taught applied lessons to low brass music majors as an adjunct instructor. He is currently Assistant Band Director at his alma mater, AAMU.
Shelman is a member of the National Educators Association, Alabama Educators Association, Huntsville Educators Association, National Association for Music Education, Alabama Bandmasters Association, and Kappa Kappa Psi, National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Under the direction of Mr. Shelman Miller, the Columbia High School Band has done the following:
- Performed the Columbia High School Alma Mater, arranged for band by Mr. Miller himself
- Increased in number each year
- Participated in the Parade of Heroes in Washington, DC
- Earned Superior Ratings at the Alabama Band Masters Music Performance Assessment for 5 consecutive years
- Started a jazz band, and hosted an annual Evening of Elegance Concert, featuring the CHS Jazz Band
- Earned 1st Place in the Music In The Parks Competition for both Parade Band & Concert Band
- Awarded the Best Band Award in the Viewer’s Choice Battle of the Bands in 2019
- 2nd Place Band in the Huntsville Veteran’s Day Parade, 2021
- Best Auxiliary in the Rumble In The Jungle Battle of the Bands in Selma, AL, 2022
- 2nd Place Band in the Rumble In The Jungle Battle of the Bands in Selma, AL, 2022
- Best Auxiliary in the Viewer’s Choice Battle of the Bands in Atlanta, GA, 2022
- 2nd Place Band in the Viewer’s Choice Battle of the Bands in Atlanta, GA, 2022
- Every graduating senior has been awarded band scholarships this year
- Former Columbia Band Students have participated in band at Alabama A&M University, Tennessee State University, University of Alabama in Birmingham, University of Alabama, and Talladega College
Congratulations, Mr. Miller! We see the amount of time and effort you pour into your students and program everyday and no one is more deserving of an award such as this than you!