Jazz Band to Compete in the Swing Central Jazz Competition
Swing Central Jazz is a three-day workshop and competition with a collective approach to big band jazz instruction in Savannah Georgia. Led by pianist/composer/educator Marcus Roberts, the clinician team includes a wide range of jazz educators such as Jason Marsalis, Jim Ketch (Associate Director), Brianna Thomas and Wycliffe Gordon.
Each year since 2008, twelve outstanding high school jazz bands are selected from a large pool of applicants to participate in Swing Central Jazz workshops and the competition. All twelve bands receive three complete charts, one-on-one and ensemble instruction from the nation’s top educators, and a chance to win the Jean Elizabeth Faircloth award and $5000 to support their program. This year will mark Grissom High School “A” Jazz Band’s 4th appearance at this prestigious jazz band competition; 2013, 2015, 2017, and 2020.
Congratulations to our 2020 Finalists!
- Agoura High School Studio Jazz Blue (Agoura Hills, CA) – Chad Bloom, dir.
- Ann Arbor Huron High School Rhythm Rat Jazz Orchestra (Ann Arbor, MI) – Robert Ash, dir.
- Byron Center High School Jazz Orchestra (Byron Center, MI) – Marc Townley, dir.
- Enloe High School Jazz Ambassadors (Raleigh, NC) – Robert C. Hunter, dir.
- Grissom High School “A” Jazz Band (Huntsville, AL) – Theo Vernon, dir.
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Youth Orchestra (New York, NY) – Tatum Greenblatt & Ted Nash, dirs.
- Lower Moreland High School Jazz Ensemble (Lower Moreland, PA) – Erin Stroup, dir.
- Northview High School Jazz Band (Grand Rapids, MI) – Greg Wells, dir.
- Osceola County School of the Arts Jazz A (Kissimmee, FL) – Stephen Grindell, dir.
- South Whidby High School Jazz Ensemble (Langley, WA) – Chris Harshman, dir.
- Spruce Creek High School 12 O’Clock Jazz Band (Port Orange, FL) – Robert Bosma, dir.
- Tarpon Springs High School Jazz Ensemble (Tarpon Springs, FL) – Chris De León, dir.