Principal Message 8-31-20
Grissom Parents & Students,
Please read this newsletter carefully. I have highlighted anything new from last week. I hope you all had a smooth transition to remote learning. I know we still have many IT issues, but we are working on these daily. Please sign up for our PTSA School Newsletter on the Grissom PTSA website. The newsletter provides additional information for all of our sports teams, clubs and events of Grissom High School. Please visit our website for teacher emails and other important information.
Freshman Computer Distribution
Our computers just arrived and we will begin distributing them to students this week. A School Cast will be sent out to freshman parents this week with more information about dates and times for computer pick-up. All high school students have been assigned a $35 computer usage fee. This may be pre-paid through the my school fees weblink. The link may be found on the GHS webpage. To expedite the distribution please pre-pay this fee, print your receipt and show it when you pick up your student’s laptop.
Due to starting our new computer distribution, curbside IT assistance will not be available until further notice. Please email our GHS IT Tech, Ms. Gail Meyers She will assist you in a timely manner with any issues you are having. If your child is unable to access his/her teacher in Schoology, please send the teacher an email. This will give a return email to the teacher for quicker correspondence. Our teacher emails are located on our website.
Thank you to everyone who attended the game on Thursday night against Lee. We had a GREAT win! We were very proud of our students for following guidelines and showing their Grissom Team Spirit! Due to social distancing, the Grissom v. Huntsville football game has been changed to Thursday, September 3, 2020, at Lewis Crews Stadium. This is a change of date AND location. Concessions will be sold at the game this week, so there will be no outside food or drinks allowed into the stadium. You may purchase tickets to all football games on GoFan.
Schedules should be settled for all returning HCS students. If you are new to HCS, it may take a few days for the state to process some of the information. If you are unable to view your schedule through INOW or if you have any questions about schedules, please email your child’s counselor or call the school. 256-428-8000.
Counselor and Assistant Principal Assignments
Principal – Jeanne Greer
Daily Instructional Schedule
Students may attend live instruction opportunities or retrieve recorded instruction located in Schoology. Students are strongly encouraged to login for the live sessions and attend office hour sessions.
Teachers will do live presentations /lesson recordings during their scheduled block. See below:
- 1st Block (A1 or B1 depending on day)
- Instruction 8:30 – 9:15
- 2nd Block
- Instruction 9:25 – 10:10
- 3rd Block
- Instruction 10:20 – 11:05
- 4th Block
- Instruction 11:15 – 12:00
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
- 1:00-3:40 Small Groups, Support, Office hours to contact teachers for all classes
Schedule for This Week:
- Monday A Day
- Tuesday A Day
- Wednesday B Day
- Thursday A Day
- Friday B Day
Logging into classes
All students will access their classes using the following steps:
- Login to your HCS issued laptop using your username and password.
- Click on the “Clever” icon on your home screen or go to clever and select “Login as a Student” at the top.
- Students use Clever to access different platforms such as Schoology & Inow. To login go to Clever-> Select Huntsville City Schools-> select Log in with active directory-> sign in with your student email address (first firstname.lastname@example.org) -> your password is your six digit birthdate. Find and select the “Schoology” tile within Clever.
- You will then see your scheduled classes in Schoology. The parent log in code will eventually populate to the student page.
- Click on the scheduled class to login in to live instruction, see class assignments, and find login information for office hours.
- NEW STUDENTS TO HCS MAY NOT BE ABLE TO LOG IN UNTIL AUGUST 18TH. THIS IS DUE TO SOME SOFTWARE ISSUES. PLEASE KNOW THAT TEACHERS ARE AWARE OF THIS POSSIBILITY. IT WILL BE O.K.
- If you received a recent schedule change, it takes a few days for INOW to upload the new schedule to Schoology. Follow the classes in Schoology until this populates. This should take no longer than 48 hours.
Curriculum & Instruction
- SchoolsPLP is an online K-12 curriculum purchased and provided by the ALSDE. Classroom teachers use this curriculum to teach the grade-level standards as determined by the ALSDE. They may and will use other resources to supplement instruction.
- Classroom teachers will assign SchoolsPLP lessons and assignments in the learning management system (Schoology).
- Classroom teachers will use additional instructional materials to teach standards, provide additional practice, and meet the academic needs of students. The materials will be uploaded into the learning management system (Schoology).
Assignments, Grades, and Due Dates
- Teachers will enter at least two grades per week unless there are projects where one grade may be entered weekly.
- Each assignment will be graded, and the grade will be entered into iNow.
- Assignments are due on their due date as assigned by the teacher. Assignments are NOT optional, and they must be completed on time.
Grades Online (iNOW)
You can view your child’s grades in the iNOW Parent Portal. To receive your iNOW parent portal username and password contact Laura Bell in the front office at email@example.com or 256-428-8000. Once you have your username and password, you can access the iNOW Parent Portal by going to Huntsvillecityschools.org -> Parent Info -> Grades on Line. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR PARENTS TO ACCESS INOW ON A WEEKLY BASIS. You must do this in order to know your child’s grades, attendance and schedule.
If you need to schedule a conference with a teacher, please reach out to the teacher for a date and time. If you need to schedule a conference with 2 or more teachers, please contact your student’s grade-level counselor. All conferences will take place via Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, or by telephone. There will be no in-person conferences or meetings with parents or guardians at this time.
It is always best to handle concerns at the lowest level possible. This will ensure concerns are addressed in a timely and efficient manner. Our faculty and coaching staff are trained professionals, dedicated to supporting their students. Please give the teachers and coaches an opportunity to resolve issues at the classroom level first.
- Step 1. If your concern involves your student’s teacher or coach, please email that teacher or coach first. You may request a conference or try to resolve the issue via email.
- Step 2. If after attempting to resolve your concern with the teacher or coach you feel your concern is not resolved, please contact the appropriate grade-level assistant principal.
- Step 3. If after attempting to resolve your concern first with the teacher and second with the appropriate grade-level assistant principal you feel your concern is not adequately addressed please involve the principal, Mrs. Jeanne Greer. Appointments over the phone or via video conference may be made through the office manager, Mrs. Laurie McGuffey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breakfast & Lunch:
- Grab and Go breakfast and lunches will be served daily from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. as a drive through service at the back entry under the awning. Please remain in your car.
- Breakfast is $1.50 and Lunch is $2.65
- Free and Reduced Lunch forms can be filled out online at: Free & Reduced Lunch Form
- Meals may be paid for using cash or check or by using Easy School Pay: EZSchoolPay
Thank you and I look forward to working with you and your child during the 20-21 school year!
Mrs. Jeanne Greer
Grissom High School