Principal's Message 10-18-21
Grissom Parents & Students,
I hope everyone had a great week. Congratulations to our Varsity Volleyball team. They beat Huntsville High School again this past week and will advance to Regionals for the state playoff. Come out and support them this Thursday morning at the VBC! Also, congratulations to our band for their excellent competition performance Saturday night. They scored all superior ratings in all categories! Please see information below regarding homecoming week and special information for seniors. New information is highlighted. Have a great week!
Events for this Week:
- Monday (Oct. 4): JV Football v. Bob Jones 4:30 @Grissom
- Thursday (Oct. 7): Volleyball Regionals at the VBC: 10:15 a.m. (students who attend and turn in a parent note and VB ticket stub will be excused)
- Monday: Dress Up “Country Club v. Country”
- Tuesday: Dress up “Tacky Tourist Day”
- Wednesday: Dress up as “Your Favorite Holiday”
- Thursday: Dress Up as your favorite “Character”
- Friday: Color Day: Seniors: Orange, Juniors: White, Sophomores: Brown, Freshmen: Plaid
- Thursday: Homecoming Festival 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- 4:45: Set up for short parade. Set up will begin on the east side of the building. Band will be first followed by Cheerleaders, Football Team, Volleyball Team & Homecoming Court. The rest of the parade order will be distributed by Wednesday. Parade will be on campus an then end at the track. We will have food trucks and activities on the football field from 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
- The Freshman Academy Gate will be closed beginning at 4:15 p.m. due to the parade and activities. Anyone parking on campus should come through the Meadowbrook Gate.
- Friday: Homecoming Game against Florence @Milton Frank.
- The class of 1971 (first graduating class) will be at Milton Frank to be recognized.
- Saturday: Homecoming Dance 8-11 at the school. $25.00 per Couple ticket, $15.00 per single ticket
This week is the week where seniors can apply to college with fees waived.
Mrs. Gray and Mrs. Crigger have visited senior classes to let the students know about College App Week.
Mrs. Gray & Mrs. Crigger will be in the Media Center all day Tuesday and Wednesday to assist with college applications – pulling from English classes.
Carolyn Wade, Career Coach, and Admissions Counselors from Calhoun will be on hand to assist.
Senior Portrait & Ad Information:
Senior Portrait Submission Deadline: November 5
Senior Ad Deadline: December 17
To purchase a yearbook or Senior Ad, visit the balfour website.
Weekly A/B Schedules:
- Monday & Thursday are always A Days
- Tuesday & Friday are always B Days
- Wednesday rotates weekly
Schedule for this Week (Oct. 11-15) :
- Monday A Day
- Tuesday B Day
- Wednesday A Day
- Thursday A Day
- Friday B Day
- Morning Bell 8:20
- 1st Block 8:30 – 9:55
- 2nd Block 10:00 – 11:25
- 3rd Block 11:30 – 1:15
- W.I.N. 1:20 – 2:10
- 4th Block 2:15 – 3:40
If you have Schoology issues, please email Phillip Drane: email@example.com . If a student does not have access to Schoology, please work with the student on work submission
All students and adults in the building must wear a face mask. Please make sure your child is ready for school and adhering to dress code. Please remember that SHORTS MUST BE MID-THIGH LENGTH. This will be enforced beginning the first day of school. Also, Grissom High School is a “No Cell Phone Zone” from 8:30 a.m.-3:40 p.m. Phones will be allowed during lunch time only.
Counselor and Assistant Principal Assignments:
If you need to schedule a conference with a teacher, please reach out to the teacher for a date and time. If you need to schedule a conference with 2 or more teachers, please contact your student’s grade-level counselor.
It is always best to handle concerns at the lowest level possible. This will ensure concerns are addressed in a timely and efficient manner. Our faculty and coaching staff are trained professionals, dedicated to supporting their students. Please give the teachers and coaches an opportunity to resolve issues at the classroom level first.
- Step 1. If your concern involves your student’s teacher or coach, please email that teacher or coach first. You may request a conference or try to resolve the issue via email.
- Step 2. If after attempting to resolve your concern with the teacher or coach you feel your concern is not resolved, please contact the appropriate grade-level assistant principal.
- Step 3. If after attempting to resolve your concern first with the teacher and second with the appropriate grade-level assistant principal you feel your concern is not adequately addressed, please involve the principal, Mrs. Jeanne Greer. Appointments may be made through the office manager, Mrs. Laurie McGuffey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Breakfast & Lunch:
All students qualify for free breakfast and lunch during the 2021-2022 school year.
Make sure your child knows their lunch number.
Jeanne Baird Greer
Grissom High School