Welcome to the Guidance and Counseling Department at Hampton Cove Elementary, where the goals are integrated into the school’s mission which is to help all students develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to achieve their highest potential. The Guidance and Counseling program is closely linked to the ASCS National Model, and the state model for all Alabama public schools. The program consists of four components: the Guidance Curriculum, Individual Student Planning, Responsive Services, and System Support. Most importantly, the Guidance and Counseling program adopts the framework of ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for student success.
The Mindset and Behavior standards are grouped in three domains:
- Academic Domain: The standards in this area provides the guide for strategies and activities that maximize each student’s ability to learn.
- Career Domain: Provide the strategies for the counseling program to help students understand the connection between school success and career success across the life span.
- Social/Emotional Domain: The strategies and activities help students to manage, and apply interpersonal skills.
The standards in the categories below are applied to the academic, career and social/emotional domains.
Category 1: Mindset Standards: The strategies and activities implemented in this area encourage the following mindsets for all students.
1. Belief in development of whole self, including a healthy balance of mental, social/emotional and physical well-being.
2. Self-confidence in ability to succeed.
3. Sense of belonging in the school environment.
4. Understanding that postsecondary education and life-long learning are necessary for long-term career success.
5. Belief in using abilities to their fullest to achieve high-quality results and outcomes
6. Positive attitude toward work and learning.
Category 2: Behavior Standards: With the help of classroom lessons and activities, individual and small group counseling, students will demonstrate the following standards.
A. Learning Strategies (Tactics for thinking and learning)
1. Demonstrate critical-thinking skills to make informed decisions
2. Demonstrate creativity
3. Use time-management, organizational and study skills
4. Apply media and technology skills
5. Apply self-motivation and self-direction to learning
B. Self-Management Skills (Self-control, avoid distractions)
1. Demonstrate ability to assume responsibility
2. Demonstrate self-discipline and self-control
3. Demonstrate ability to work independently
4. Demonstrate effective coping skills when faced with a problem
C. Social Skills (Behaviors that create positive interaction between peers, and between students and adults).
1. Use effective oral and written communication skills and listening skills
2. Create positive and supportive relationships with other students
3. Create relationships with adults that support success
4. Demonstrate empathy
5. Use leadership and teamwork skills to work effectively in diverse teams