Hawk News from The Principal 8/22
Dear HCES Family,
- This week all students K-5 will take STAR Reading, iReady Reading, and iReady Math. STAR will be used to determine AR goals. The iReady assessments will be used as accountability measures to show student growth throughout the year. We will use this data to tailor instruction to the needs of our students. These are not assessments that students/teachers have to prepare for. Rather, all of these assessments will be given to gather accurate data on the needs of our students. Please encourage your student to do their best.
- Please remember that Pre-K students should be walked into class by a parent/guardian because they must be signed in daily. All other students, K-5, should enter the school and go to class independently.
- We have been successful in both drop-off and pick-up. This week, we completed drop-off prior to 8 am and pick-up has concluded by 3:00 pm. We are all excited about these accomplishments.
- . If you have both an HCES and an HCMS student and are in the car line prior to 2:35 pm, you may park in the HCMS car line, walk to the breezeway with your pick-up sign, and we will call your student to be dismissed. Upon their arrival, you can walk them back to your vehicle and wait for the HCMS car line to begin. We ask that if you are in line after 2:35 pm, you wait in the HCES line as usual. Thank you for your patience.
- PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports) is a program we use to encourage positive behavior and going the extra mile. Over the past weeks, our teachers and students discussed positive behavior and provided examples across all settings. Students and teachers worked to set student goals on the amount of Hawk Honor students must earn to attend the quarterly PBIS celebrations. Students who are suspended in school or out of school (twice or a combination of each) will not be allowed to attend the quarterly celebration. Additionally, any level three infraction that is considered a safety concern will also result in losing the privilege of attending the quarterly celebration. The principal will make the final determination on who will not attend the celebration(s) based on the severity of the infraction. Each quarter, the goals are reset and we begin anew.
- Thank you for continuing to honor your teacher's request to allow us to establish routines and procedures prior to lunch visits. The students and teachers are working extremely hard on this.
- Please remember that safety and uninterrupted instruction are paramount to the success of all of our students. Parents and volunteers should not interrupt instruction or go to the classroom unless previously scheduled and escorted by the principal. Unexpected classroom visits are strictly prohibited and interrupt student and teacher focus. We love having parents and volunteers in the building, but please be reminded that there are protocols that ALL parents and volunteers must adhere to. Thank you in advance for understanding and your cooperation.
- We appreciate all of the requests to volunteer to help our teachers. Each of our teachers has a different way of completing tasks. Teachers will reach out to their room parents if they need help with completing tasks. Please rest assured that student privacy is extremely important and parents/volunteers will not have access to student grades or information.
A few quick reminders on safety:
- Please remind your student(s) to move away from the red line on the sidewalk. Some of us prefer to drive close to the edge of the sidewalk, and we do not want any of our students to get hurt.
- When walking to the school or crossing the crosswalks, please make sure your children are walking beside or in front of you. Those in vehicles cannot see the little ones, but they can see you. This ensures your children cross traffic safely and do not run/fall between vehicles. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
- Please continue to notify us if your student or someone in your household has been diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Traffic for drop-off is continuous between 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. If you arrive between 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m., please allow your student to exit the car and enter the building. We cannot have anyone parking and waiting in the car line.
- Please share with your friends who are parents of middle school students, that they cannot park in the elementary line. This will cause more traffic problems than getting in the middle school line and waiting. (Thank you.)
- Please remember that students will walk to their classrooms independently. We will still have staff on hand to help them get to class (although I will share that I tried to walk a K student to class and they told me they did need me and knew where they were going!)
- In the afternoons, pre-k student pick-up is the priority. Please allow those parents to drive to the front of the line to pick up their students. Pre-k dismissal begins around 2:15. K-5 dismissal will run much more efficiently if pre-k parents are able to pick up their students on time.
- Thank you for honoring teacher requests to wait until after Labor Day to visit for lunch. Some parents expressed concern wondering if their student was doing okay. If your student is having a difficult time transitioning, we will contact you to offer/request assistance as needed. Thank you for your support in this matter.
- Many of you know that I take student and family privacy very seriously. The school, cannot and will not answer questions pertaining to any student, family, or situation. We all have a right to privacy and I/we will not violate that. The school has to be a safe haven for all students. Thank you for understanding.
- Please continue to discuss with your student, how they will go home each day, especially in grades K-2. It is always helpful to email your teacher with this information along with any changes.
- Please refrain from walking to the school side of the track to pick up your students. The teachers will meet you with your student(s) at the track.
- Alphabest has assured me that they are working on increasing personnel. Once they have secured employees, they will begin accepting students who are on the waitlist.
- Students cannot be checked-out after 2:00 p.m. Thank you for having your required I.D. ready in order to check students out.
- If you have a concern, please reach out to the school prior to the central office. Often times concerns can be handled at the school level.
Thank you so much for your support,