Thank you for an AMAZING first week of school!
Hello HCES families!
We had an amazing first week of school and I appreciate your efforts to support our routines and procedures as we begin our year together! I hope you all saw the "Wednesday Folders" that were sent home last Wednesday. Inside the cover of the folder, we have printed much of our general school information. Many of the questions most parents ask can be answered by reading the inside cover of the folders.
This year, your child will receive two grades each week for each subject area. If you wish to view your child's grades, please call the front office to request a log in and password into INOW. You are also able to check your child's attendance in INOW. Teachers are teaching from bell to bell, so it is imperative that our students are present and on time. If you do have to miss for doctors appointments, please bring in an excuse within two days. You can also email your excuse notes to email@example.com. Our attendance task force will continue to monitor attendance this year as we strive to increase our attendance to 96%. Please see the HCS Attendance policy below:
HCS no longer accepts individual field trip forms.
HCS Policy 6.1.2 Absences Due to Family Trips
- Absences due to family trips or vacations are unexcused and a student will not be allowed to make up daily class work, assignments, and homework upon the student’s return to school.
- The student will be allowed to make up all tests and exams. Huntsville City Schools encourages students and families to review the Huntsville City Schools’ online calendar and to schedule family trips and vacations when school is not in session.
- Parents are reminded that consistent student attendance is critical to enhancing learning and improving academic performance.
- The purpose of this policy is to ensure that students remain in school and do not miss out on valuable instructional time and important learning opportunities.
- ALL-DAY PERIOD – OTHER (Student not present, but counted as ALL-DAY Period EXCUESED for attendance).
o ALSDE Attendance Manual has areas for coding absences that are ALL-DAY-Other which could be used for students in the following situations:
- An activity that is school related, representing the school/district, participating in a school event, participating in a college visit, or military induction.
- College visit, job shadow, co-op, Ambassador for school, non- athlete attending sporting event (as determined by LEA).
PROCEDURE for Administrator Approved Excused Absence:
o A written request (note) from the parent/guardian to the principal (LEA) with a copy of the schedule and/or event must be presented to the principal 5 days preceding the absences to be considered for ALL-DAY Period EXCUSED.
o The written request must include:
- Name of Student
- Name, Date, and Place of Event
- Schedule of the event in relationship to the absent student participation in the event.
- Validation from the event that the student did actually participate .
Excused Absence Code: An excuse from parent falling within the LEA allowable number or other excusable reason as defined by the LEA Reference Policy:
- Death Immediate family,
- Inclement Weather,
- Legal Quarantine,
- Emergency Conditions determined by principal designee or superintendent/designee,
- Permission of principal and consent of parent,
- Passport, DMV (documented), (8) Translation for family (define more).
PreK dismissal this year begins at 2:20 p.m. I need to ask that if you are an elementary parent pulling through in the car line for afternoon pickup, please do not arrive before 2:00 p.m. so our PreK parents will be able to pull around to the front to pick up their children before 2:30 p.m. I will also ask that you pull up close to the car behind you which will help shorten our car line and do not block the fire station fire lane. This is a request that we all work together for dismissal. It would also help us if you could place a note in the front windshield with your child's name as well as your car tag as our students learn their car tag numbers. Our goal is to have the car line completed before 3:00 p.m. Thank you for your patience and your assistance with dismissal.
If you have questions or concerns, you can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.