Principal's Message (July 13)
Our District announced two learning options for the 2020-2021 school year during the HCS Board meeting this week. Below is a general summary of the information shared which is available on line at Huntsvillecityschools.org
The first option is Traditional School. If you elect for your student to return to HCMS next Fall, he/she will attend school five days per week from 8:00 a.m. - 3:05 p.m. and rotate through seven periods each day while participating in face to face instruction. Health and safety procedures will be in place along with social distancing to the greatest extent possible in order to protect our students and staff. (If circumstances in our community or school site arise, we are preparing for a Cohort Schedule where half of our students will attend on days identified for Cohort A and half on days identified for Cohort B. We are also preparing to transition to virtual learning if needed.)
The second option is Virtual School. If you elect for your student to participate in the Huntsville Virtual Academy (HVA), he/she will complete all his/her coursework from home with the support of a Huntsville City Schools teacher! Enrollment is open until July 20,2020. Our students that opt for HVA are welcome to participate in HCMS athletics, clubs, and after school events.
As a family, I know you are heavily weighing which learning environment is best for your student and your family. I understand that this is not an easy decision, I am going through it myself as a mother of a student in our district. I also understand you still have many questions unanswered. As more information is shared and our specific plan for HCMS solidifies I will share it with you.
Thanks for all the patience and support you have already extended and will continue to extend. Go Bulls!
- SHOUT OUTS!
- Special Education: Ms. Denise Hotaling has been working tirelessly to prepare for our new self-contained classroom we are gaining next year! We are so excited!
- Sports: Please take time to thank our coaches for the time they have given to our student-athletes this summer! They are a tremendous asset for our HCMS family!
- Cheer – Coach Sarah Fields
- Volleyball – Coaches Elizabeth Agee and James Colebaugh
- Girls Basketball – Coach Angie Roberts
- Football – Head Coach: Kenny Williams, Assistant Coach: Scott Buhman, Defensive Coordinator: Bill Johnson, Offensive Coordinator: Allen Johns
- Boys Basketball – Coach Chad Wilson and Jason Porch. Both Coach Wilson and Coach Porch are stepping back after years of dedication to our boys’ basketball program. We sincerely thank both of them and wish them all the best. Please join me in welcoming our new 7th Grade Boys Basketball Coach, Kenny Williams. Our new 8th Grade Boys Basketball Coach will be announced once HCS Board approval is complete.
- SPORTS SUMMER TRAINING SCHEDULES
- Girls Basketball: 8-11am (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Football: 9-11am (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Cheer 9:30-11am (HCES gym) (Tuesdays ONLY)
- Boys Basketball: 3-5pm (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Volleyball: 5:30-7:30pm (Tuesday and Thursday)
- REGISTER NOW! The Huntsville Virtual Academy (HVA) is a virtual schooling option is for students that want to learn remotely this Fall. HVA offers courses in mathematics, science, language arts, world languages, social studies, as well as electives. Registration is ongoing through July 20, 2020. You can access information and enrollment on our district website at Huntsville Virtual Academy
- P.E. Uniform Update: Currently our students will not dress out for PE next Fall. With this in mind, we have decided to cancel PE uniform orders for the 2020-2021 year. If you have already ordered a PE uniform, ShortStop will issue you an electronic reimbursement. We appreciate ShortStop working with us to ensure that you are reimbursed. You may contact them at: (256) 551-0849. If at some point during the school year we are given guidance for students to dress out for P.E. boys will wear black shorts with a gray t-shirt, girls will wear black (or red) shorts with a yellow t-shirt.
- Backpacks not Lockers: Students will use backpacks rather than lockers next year. We want to keep their backpacks manageable and in the Reset Plan on page 13, you will find a consolidated supply list for 6-8 grades.
- SUMMER COMPUTER REPAIR FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS: Tuesday Mornings from 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Mastin Lake Road Facility 3221 Mastin Lake Road Huntsville, Al. 335810 Upon arrival, press the exterior intercom button and ask for assistance.