Principal's Message (July 24)
Our District announced remote learning for the first 9 weeks. Our teachers and staff are eager to be back in the “classroom”; even if it is remote for now! We also learned this week that all our HCMS students will remain OUR HCMS students. So, our traditional HCMS students and our Huntsville Virtual Academy HCMS students will be in our courses, being taught by our HCMS teachers. We are thrilled to facilitate both and keep our Bulls Family together.
I realize you still have many questions about the school year. We are making plans for schedule distribution, laptop issue, and remote learning orientation. I will share that information with you soon. Please continue to check the Bull Pen, our HCMS Facebook page, and our HCMS PTA Facebook Groups. I will also send information via Schoolcast. As always please reach out with your questions, we are all in this together. You can reach me at Natalie.email@example.com or by calling 256-428-8380.
What will school look like at HCMS the 1ST 9 Weeks?
- All students (HVA and HCMS Traditional) will start the first grading term (first 9 weeks) remotely.
- Friday, July 24, 2020 is the deadline to enroll for HVA; commitment for HVA remains 1 semester.
- Friday, July 24, 2020 is the deadline to un-enroll from HVA.
- The primary difference between HVA and HCMS Traditional students is that HVA students are committing to a full semester of at home to learning. HCMS Traditional students are committing to learning from home for the 1st 9 weeks and potentially returning to school in a traditional, cohort, or remote learning model for the 2nd 9 weeks. (depending on district guidance at that time.)
HCMS students that enroll in HVA will remain HCMS students. This means:
- Both HCMS Traditional and HCMS HVA students are OUR HCMS Students (Hooray!)
- Both will be enrolled in HCMS classes with the schedules they selected at the end of the 2019-2020 school year (Yippee!)
- HVA students will be embedded with HCMS traditional students on the same rosters.
- Both will be taught by HCMS teachers.
- Both will use the learning platform Schoology coupled with the Schools PLP curriculum along with other curriculum resources shared by their teachers.
- HCMS teachers will provide live lessons and recorded lessons.
- HCMS will develop a daily schedule, but students may access the work when it fits best into their daily schedule.
- Attendance will be taken daily, however it will be based on Schoology Log-In and not linked to a specific time during the day.
- Both HCMS HVA students and HCMS Traditional students will earn two grades per course, per week. (3 summative grades per semester)
- If we return to the building later in the year, our HCMS HVA students may continue their electives virtually or they will be given the option to attend their electives in person however, they must commit to coming in person daily.
- Transportation will be the parent’s responsibility.
- In season sports practices will be held after school.
We will share more information in the coming weeks. We cannot wait to start teaching our students; your children!
We will not be collecting plastic bottle caps this year.
As a school, we will not ask students to complete 10 hours of service learning this year given the health concerns surrounding COVID in our community.
Backpacks not Lockers:Students will use backpacks rather than lockers next year. We want to keep it their backpacks manageable so here is a consolidated supply list for 6-8 grades!
Loose leaf paper
3 Ring Binder(s)
Spiral ring notebooks for each subject
District Issued Device
Clear, spill proof water bottle