This Week at HCMS (Mar. 23)
I hope you are staying healthy and getting some fresh air. In my neighborhood, there are lots of people walking, running and biking (staying 6ft apart!). Our family has also quickly gotten out of some daily routines like our sleep schedule. Below are some tips from the National Sleep Foundation and Centers for Disease Control to support children’s sleep patterns. They suggest minimizing activities involving bright lights, excitement or stress in the hour before bedtime. These activities might include:
- Video games
- Cell phones
- Television: Watching TV close to bedtime has been associated with bedtime resistance, difficulty falling asleep, anxiety around sleep, and sleeping fewer hours
- Restrict cell phones and other electronics from your child’s bedroom during sleeping hours
- Keep a regular and consistent sleep schedule and bedtime routine, even on weekends
- Make your child’s bedroom conducive to sleep-dark, cool and quiet
- Avoid your child having caffeine during any time of the day
Several parents have contacted me regarding e-learning and I want to provide very clear information on the topic. Huntsville City Schools has not employed e-learning. E-learning requires that students work at home to complete their work electronically and does not require their physical attendance in school buildings. An eDay is recognized by the ALSDE as a “regular day of instruction”. During this period of state-mandated school closure, E-learning or eDays are not permissible because schools are closed. As such, HCS is not implementing e-learning.
However, the Huntsville City Schools website at www.huntsvillecityschools.org, has listed a wealth of resources that are available for academic engagement during the mandated school closure period. These links contain activities that support and engage all students in all grades and for all content areas. Additionally, our teachers will be available next week for virtual office hours. Teachers will readily answer emails or message on Canvas from 9:00-10:00. Some teachers will offer extended office hours and will post these times on their Canvas page. If you have questions about AR, Freckle math, or other activities, they will be ready to help.
If your child has technical difficulties with their Chromebook, our HCS IT Help Desk is open Monday through Friday from 7:30-3:30. You can access them by calling 256-428-6900. They can assist with the following:
- Providing the user with passwords and usernames.
- Directing the user to the correct URLs for programs.
- Walking the user through troubleshooting tips.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me during this time if you have questions or need assistance. Stay healthy!