Men Swiming: State Champions!
The Mens Swim & Dive team competed in the 2017 AHSAA State Championships this past weekend at the Martin Aquatic Center at Auburn University and returned as State Champions. Coached by Arthur Fortin, won the 6A/7A state title with 321 points as the Panthers notched their fourth state title in the last 16 years and recorded their 14th overall. Huntsville set a new state record in the 200 yard Medeley Relay with a time of 1:36.43 in the finals to beat the previous record of 1:36.65 set by Auburn in 2016. The Panthers’ relay team consisted of Caleb Chance, Alexander Nurre, Evan Vela and Stephen O’Neil. Caleb Chance alos set a new 6A/7A record in the 100 yard Backstroke prelims with a time of 50.54 and then bettered that mark in the finals (40.46) to set a new record on Saturday.
- Diving - 5th Hampton Jarres
- 200 Yard IM - 15th Ben Werth
- 50 Yard Freestyle - 8th Stephen O'Neil
- 100 Yard Freestyle - 11th William Crawford, 13th Sam Johnston
- 200 Yard Freestyle - 1st Caleb Chance, 3rd Joe Swing
- 500 Yard Freestyle - 2nd Joe Swing, 10th Hayden Carroll
- 100 Yard Butterfly - 1st Evan Vela, 13th Alex Jones, 14th Stephen O'Neil
- 100 Yard Backstroke - 1st Caleb Chance, 3rd Evan Vela, 13 Taylor Johnson
- 100 Yard Breaststroke - 9th Alex Nurre, 10th Ben Werth, 14th Myles Kimball, 15th Will Darden
- 400 Yard Freestyle - 1st Vela, O'Neil, Swing, Chance
- 200 Yard Medley - 1st Chance, Nurre, Vela, O'Neil