Principal's Message: Challenges
"She was very stern and very firm. She pushed me, and I didn't like it for a long time. But now I push myself, because I know that my limits are more than I thought they were." - Yasmeen Graham.
Perhaps we can recall a person in your life who was exceptionally tough on you. You might have disliked them, or resented their attention , but now you can look back and see that they actually pushed you further than you yourselves thought you could go.
James Comer, A Yale psychiatrist who worked with inner-city children, found that programs that challenged kids instead of indulging them had better results. Do not be afraid to lovingly challenge those around us, and to accept challenges from them.
As McNair's school leader, I would like to challenge our students to spend less time focusing on social media platforms such as Facebook, Snap Chat, Twitter, Tik Tok and Instagram. Instead, channel more energy engaging in those activities that will assist you with your academic growth. Remember, you have a year of learning to recover.
Therefore, I challenge you to put the phone down (turn it off) and pick up a book to read, problem solve a math or science query, analyze or compose a poem, and/or write a research paper. You will find these challenges will better support your college and career readiness than spending too much time on social media.
Athletics: Go Fan - No Cash!
COVID seems to have impacted every aspect of our lives - even how we access our sports' activities. If you plan to attend any of the sporting activities, you will need to acquire your tickets through the McNair GoFan page. No cash will be taken at the door or gate for any sporting event this year for admission. However, cash will be taken for concessions.
- Varsity: $11 Adults / $6 Students
- Middle School: $8 Adults / $4 Students
All Other Tickets (i.e. Volleyball):
- High School: $9 Adults / $5 Students
- Middle School: $7 Adults / $4 Students
Important Events and Dates to Remember
- Monday, October 11th: 2nd grading period begins. Students return to school.
- Monday, October 11th: After-School Tutoring begins Monday through Friday from 3:15 pm to 4:45 pm. Please ensure you pick up your children no later than 4:50 pm. Thanks.
- Tuesday, October 12th: McNair's Parent Advisory Committee Meeting via ZOOM.
- Tuesday, October 12th: Football - McNair vs Meridianville at Hazel Green High School. The game is scheduled to begin at 6:00 pm. Please come out and support our Wildcats!
- Friday, October 15th: REPORT CARDS will be mailed home along with student ACAP and STAR data.
- Tuesday, October 19th: Parent Data Meeting in Ronald McNair's cafeteria at 6:00 pm.
- Thursday, October 21st: McNair's Parent Advisory Committee Meeting via ZOOM.
- Thursday, October 21st: School Board Meeting at 6:00 pm.