Summer Letter from Principal Sutton
Hello Montview students and families,
Happy Summer Break!
On behalf of our teachers and staff, I would like to say thank you for a great year! It has been a difficult and interesting year with challenges that families and teachers have not faced before. Together we have successfully made the journey and shown progress in so many areas.
Our school has a goal of continuing the growth and momentum we have made this year over the summer. Look at these suggestions to keep this going while your Mustang is out of school:
1) Students should read for 15-20 minutes every day or every other day. Use the School to Home books we sent home to practice this all summer. We will continue to build these home libraries once we return to school. Treasure this collection and set aside a special shelf or basket for books. READ, READ, READ!
2) Summer is a time for relaxing and exploring, but don’t forget HCS is still here to support you. Lunch is provided at Lakewood Elementary for your student. Reach out to us if you need anything at all. We will be out of the office after June 28, but until then, we love to hear from you.
3) Verbally practice basic math facts in the car and at different times during the day. Students will also like to quiz you on the basic math facts.
4) Take small trips with your child. Visit the local park, the public library, museums, or just family. Go for a walk and look for flowers or animals. All of these experiences help to bring your student back to social-emotional health after the pandemic.
Return School Library Books
With the end of the year, our librarian/media specialist, Mrs. Rings, has inventoried our books. As of the last day of school, we are still missing more than 100 library books. If your student still has a library book at home, please allow and encourage them to return it ASAP. We are at school working each day and would love to receive these missing books.
• Students must return their Chromebook, charger, and both the top and bottom pieces of their case. We did a very good job of turn-in at Montview.
• There are replacement fees for missing items, and full or partial payment is expected. This debt follows your child’s record until graduation. FYI
Our yearbooks had a brief delay, but they are in now. We have a few extra copies which will be available on a first come, first serve basis. Call 256-428-7320 for a pickup appointment.
STAR Reading and Math Update
Our students did a good job with STAR Reading and STAR Math this year. Do I think we can do better? Absolutely! Our performance of academic assessments should reflect the effort our teachers and students have exerted during the days of teaching and learning. We hope to see even more improvement when we return to more normal schooling. Our school is reaching high. Our theme next year is “Hustle and heart set us apart.” With this spirit, we will make tremendous academic strides.