National Junior Honor Society
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a middle school student. Seventh and eighth grade students are eligible for induction based on a variety of qualities. No student is inducted simply because of a high academic average. NJHS selects those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of Scholarship, Leadership, Service, Character, and Citizenship. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1929. The National Junior Honor Society strives to recognize the total student; one who excels in all of these areas.
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) may be an ideal fit for you!
How Can You Become an New Member?
Second semester 7th grade and 8th grade students are eligible to join. Inductions will occur in January.
1. The cumulative GPA required for consideration is an overall 85 average or higher. Students who meet this benchmark will be invited to submit information about themselves to be considered for membership.
2. Students must have a score of 12 points or higher on the Huntsville City Schools National Junior Honor Society Rubric.
This rubric covers leadership, service, character, and citizenship. (See link)
• Leadership must be shown in classrooms or community activities.
• Service must be completed or (proposed with adult sponsorship).
• Character is scored from the number of suspensions, office referrals, detentions, and silent lunches.
• Citizenship is scored from students being actively involved in school or community
For more information click on the link to the national organization below.
Also, thru the Edmodo page and Mornings with George, are announcements.
Link to National Organization: