Looking Forward 11/28/21
- The Debate Team competed in the Hoover Classic Speech and Debate Tournament. Jane Brennan won 1st place in Humorous Interpretation and 2nd place in Program Oral Interpretation. Jerimiah McDow won second in Humorous interpretation. Ella Duus won first place in Extemporaneous Speaking.
- Congratulations to all the New Century swimmers – especially those who qualified to compete in the state swim meet: Gatlin Bryant (Lee HS), Juan “JP” Pace (Huntsville HS), and Walden Wilder (Huntsville HS). Good luck!
HVA Registration for Spring Semester
Huntsville Virtual Academy registration is open now through December 3rd for students who want to complete their courses online for second semester. Students must maintain a 70 average or higher in their classes to participate in Huntsville Virtual Academy. This is a full semester commitment. Magnet students are required to participate in their magnet classes live during the regularly scheduled class time. The district does not offer the option of switching back and forth between in-person and virtual learning throughout the semester, so families are encouraged to make the best decision before the registration deadline.
After School Tutoring
New Century is offering a free after school tutoring program. Students are encouraged to attend these after school tutoring sessions to catch up on homework, receive help with an applicable subject, or they can use this time to study for any of their classes. If you have any questions about the after school tutoring program, please contact Mr. Mercieca.
First Semester High School Exam Schedule 2021-2022
Please note that we will have four half days at the end of the semester. Exams will be given on the last two days.
|Tues, 12/14||8:30 am-10:20 am||1st period class|
|10:30 am-12:20 pm||2nd period class|
|Wed, 12/15||8:30 am-10:20 am||3rd period class|
|10:30 am-12:20 pm||4th period class|
|Thurs, 12/16||8:30 am-10:20 am||1st period exam|
|10:30 am-12:20 pm||2nd period exam|
|Fri, 12/17||8:30 am-10:20 am||3rd period exam|
|10:30 am-12:20 pm||4th period exam|
Order Your Yearbook!
2021-2022 yearbooks are now for sale on the Balfour website. They cost $45 through December 1, after which the price will increase to $50.
- Support Your School! You can join PTSA, sponsor a teacher, and order stickers, magnets, and (limited inventory) t-shirts through our online store.
- If you have a Kroger card, you can link to NCTHS PTSA and we will earn rewards with each purchase.
- If you shop at Publix, sign up for Club Publix and link to NCTHS
Masking is required inside all Huntsville City Schools buildings. Please monitor yourself and your family members for the following symptoms: fever, cough, body aches, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, or sudden loss of taste or smell. Anyone who develops one or more of these symptoms should contact their doctor or nearest urgent care for guidance. If a member of your household tests positive for COVID, please notify the school nurse immediately. If a student is unable to attend class due to COVID concerns (such as exhibiting COVID symptoms or being excluded), please email Ms. Lightfoot to let her know so attendance can be marked appropriately. All classwork will be posted in Schoology so students can keep up with their schoolwork.
Tip of the Week
As a rule of thumb, if you feel like you’re not any closer to figuring out a question after about 30 seconds, move on. Circle that question so that it’s easier to spot later on when you want to go back to it. Then, make a quick pass through the whole section and answer all of the easy questions first so you don’t miss points by running out of time before you're able to get through everything.