About the School
Sonnie Hereford Elementary School, formerly Universtiy Place is a pre kindergarten through 6th grade elementary school located on the northwest side of Huntsville, Alabama. Our building is a brand new facility nestled in Terry Heights community. Approximately five hundred and twenty scholars make up our student body to include a black / white majority, and others to include Hispanics, Asians, Pacific Islanders, American Indians, and Multi Races. Currently (97%) of our scholars qualify for free and reduced lunch. Sixty six team members wholeheartedly work with our scholars to include: 33 classroom teachers, 12 instructional support teachers, 6 instructional aides, 11 team and family support, and 3 administrators. Community partners to include The Village of Promise and Westside Community Church support our work. Together, with the families of our scholars, we combine to make the SONNIE HEREFORD TEAM AND FAMILY . . .where CHOICES matter!
Our commitment to our core values (CHOICES) - Character, Honor, Ownership, Independence, Courage, Excellence and Service above self, anchor our daily work as we continue to improve upon
- Cultivating confident 21st century life long learners prepared for college, career, and life
- Increasing academic achievement
- Recognizing all areas of success
- Raising levels of accountability and engagement
- Developing character and leadership
- Creating a culture greatness
- Committing to mobile and digital teaching, learning and citizenship for the world of today, tomorrow and the future.
At Sonnie Hereford Elementary, we know our scholars are great and are our community leaders of tomorrow. By learning to set personal and academic goals and make a plan to realize them, we help them pave their path to success. Our commitment to our vision and mission, evident in our daily roles, speaks to our belief system that CHOICES indeed matter.