Hours of Operation
- School starts promptly at 8:00 a.m. each day for Kindergarten through Grade 5.
- Pre-K begins at 7:45 and continues until 2:15 pm each day. Pre-K students must be signed in & out.
- The front doors for grades K-5 open at 7:30 a.m. Students should not arrive at school before 7:30a.m., as there are no certified personnel on duty. Students who arrive between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m. are provided limited supervision in the classroom hallways until the 7:45 bell rings.
- Students are tardy after 8:00 a.m. A parent/guardian must come to the office with the student and sign him/her in.
Pre-K Students must be signed in and out each day with their dismissal at 2:15 p.m. Pre-K dismisses on the Todd Mill/Side approach. If you are waiting for an older sibling, please do not park in line - you may stay in line, waiting in/near your car.
2:30 p.m. – Bus Riders | 2:33 p.m. – Walkers | 2:36 – Car Riders/YMCA/Extended Day
2:50 p.m. – All Car Riders must be picked up by 2:50p.m.
- Pick-Up: Children should know how they will go home in all types of weather before they arrive at school each day. Only in rare emergencies will classroom instruction be interrupted for messages for changes in plans.
- Extended Day - At nominal cost, extended day child care is available for students who need daily care past 2:45 pm (various plans/options available). Registration forms for extended day are in the office.
- Playground – Our ultimate goal is to ensure the safety of each student. Therefore, playgrounds are CLOSED during the arrival and dismissal of students.
Please arrange all appointments after school or during school holidays. Students will not be allowed to check out after 2:00 p.m (there will be no check-outs between 2:00-2:30 pm; HCS Policy).
Regular attendance and prompt arrival at school are very important for a successful school year.
- TRAVEL: Family trips and vacations should be planned around the school calendar.
- TARDY: Students arriving after 8:00 a.m. are considered tardy except when the tardiness is caused by medical appointments. Please present a note or bill from the doctor/dentist upon check in. If possible, schedule appointments after school if possible. When weather/traffic delays cause tardiness, the principal may delay the tardy bell.
Additional information and HCS Guidelines for student absences may be found online (www.hsv-k12.org under Departments-> Pupil Services-> Downloads or in the HCS Student-Parent Handbook.)
- Illness and death in the immediate family are considered excused absences.
- A written excuse should be sent to the teacher within two (2) days of an excused absence or the absence is coded as unexcused.
- HCS Pupil Services monitors absences through electronic records. After five (5) unexcused absences or ten (10) total absences - whether excused or unexcused - parents will be contacted by a social worker. Reports must be made to the Office of Pupil Services for an excessive number of tardies.
- Questions concerning the school system’s attendance policy may be directed to HCS Pupil Services at the Merts Center (256.428.6890). Alabama’s rigid state laws regarding student attendance govern HCS attendance policy.
- Feel free to e-mail your child’s teacher with their excuse.
When children are absent for at least two (2) days, parents may call the school to make arrangements to pick up work from the office after 2:45 p.m. Please call by 12:00 p.m. in order for the teacher to have time to put all work together. For one-day (1) absences students may check with reliable classmates for assignments.