Whitesburg P-8 Library
Library Media Specialist: Robbie Kimbrough
Library Assistant: Louise Houston Library Hours: 7:45AM-3:00PM
Whitesburg P-8 Library Mission Statement:
Provide collaboratively planned activities and high quality resources that encourage students to become lifelong readers; critical thinkers; and effective evaluators, users, and communicators of information.
Description of Services:
The Whitesburg library provides students and staff with open access to approximately 12,000 print resources and continuous access to several eBooks. Library materials are carefully selected to supplement the school curriculum, ensure diversity, and to inspire a love of reading and learning. The library is open all day from 7:45-3:00 for students to check out new materials, read, or work on assignments. All Pre-K through second grade classes visit the library once a week for a thirty minute class. Teachers collaborate with the library media specialist to plan small or whole group activities that incorporate library and information skills with classroom content on an as needed basis. Grades 3-8 sign up for flex time to work on projects, have lessons or check out books.
Students must be fluent readers in order to become successful, contributing members of a globally connected society. Reading is a skill that is developed through repetition and practice with appropriate texts. We use Accelerated Reader to encourage and motivate students to read independently every day.
Don't have wifi at home? Check out a HotSpot from the Library! Below are the basic guidelines. Click HERE for more information!
- Only students who have Parent/Guardian consent forms completed are able to check out the HCS HotSpot. This form may be completed online - S.T.E.P. Parent Consent Form
- HCS HotSpots can be requested in the morning through the librarians, but students will need to pick them up at the end of day.
- Check out time is 48 hours (2 days).
- During extended breaks (Spring, Winter, Fall) HCS HotSpots will not be checked out.
- The HCS Hotspot is to be used for educational purposes only and is part of Huntsville City School's Student Technology Enhancement Program (STEP) Click HERE to go to the district site for more information.
Other helpful links:
Whitesburg's Online Patron Access Catalog: http://atriuum.hsv.k12.al.us/opac/whitems/index.html#menuHome
Alabama Virtual Library: http://www.avl.lib.al.us/
STAR/AR website: https://hosted380.renlearn.com/76771/